International Students

We encourage all international students, foreign nationals, and non-U.S. passport holders to participate in Experiential Global Learning programs while at UConn, but want to make sure that you verify if participating in a program abroad will affect your U.S. student visa Status, U.S. immigration status, or your eligibility to re-enter the U.S. upon return.

How to Get Started

  1. Set up an appointment with an Experiential Global Learning Advisor
  2. Notify your Experiential Global Learning Advisor about the following:
    • Current citizenship status and country of origin
    • Desired program destination
    • Duration of program
  3. Visit the International Students and Scholar Services Office (ISSS)
    • Review the ISSS¬†Off-Campus Study¬†page to learn more about how your program may affect your visa and SEVIS record
    • Confirm all requirements, restrictions, or deadlines
    • Ensure you know about all required documentation you will need to bring with you while on your program
  4. Be sure to maintain any minimum unit requirements while participating in your program (undergraduate students must take the equivalent of twelve U.S. credits to be considered a full-time student)
  5. Research student visa requirements and deadlines for the country you plan on visiting
    • Some countries require you to renew your U.S. visa before you can obtain their visa
    • Renewing your U.S. visa may require returning to your home country either before or after your program

Other Considerations

  • Will you be abroad for more than six months?
  • Do you have the minimum unit requirements for your U.S. student visa?
  • Will you finish your UConn degree requirements while participating in your program?
  • Are there military service requirements in the country where you will travel?
  • Should you apply for your host country’s visa in the U.S. or in your home country?
  • PLAN EARLY! At least nine months to one year prior to your expected program start date!
  • Always check with the UConn SEVIS officer to determine how the program you are going on will affect any SEVIS requirements.
  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) students who are considering going on a program abroad should consult with an immigration attorney to discuss the process and evaluate the potential issues in applying for a program abroad. Visit NAFSA’s resource page on DACA for more information.