Please note: The U.S. Passport office is currently experiencing delays in processing passports, as of July 23, 2021. Visit for additional information and current processing times.

A valid passport is required to travel to, and study or intern in, another country. If you do not already have one, you should apply for a passport as soon as you’re able to do so, especially if the destination country requires a visa for the type of program you select.

If you are a U.S. citizen, the U.S. Department of State can issue you a valid U.S. passport. The State Department may take up to six weeks to process your passport application, so plan ahead! If you already have a passport, make sure that it is valid at least six months beyond the last day you will be abroad. Immigration officials may stop you at an international border if your passport is set to expire within six months.

You can obtain a U.S. passport application and information at major post offices, some public libraries, and a number of county and municipal offices. for more information, visit the Apply For or Renew My Passport page on the State Department website.

If you need a U.S. passport or replacement quickly for any reason, visit the Get a Passport in a Hurry page on the State Department website. If you are abroad and need to replace your passport, visit the local embassy or consulate.

It’s always smart to carry with you a digital and hard copy of your passport’s photo page, so be sure to make these copies as soon as you have your passport!

Passport Photos

Passport photos are a style of photograph with specifications regarding the size of the photo, what sort of head and facial clothing is permitted, a particular background color, and other specifications. Do not try to take or print passport photos yourself, as the regulations regarding these photos are specific and strict. Although these specifications are often standard, some countries publish a list of their specifications in a list of visa application requirements. There are many places where you can get passport photos, such as Walgreens, CVS, and post offices.

Experiential Global Learning also takes passport photos in our office. Passport photos are $10 for 2 photos and $20 for 6 photos. We cannot accept cash, check, or Husky Bucks (i.e. card only).

Passports and Visas

In most cases an immigration official will stamp your visa inside your passport. Most consulates require you to submit your passport along with your visa application. If you don’t already have a valid passport, you should apply for one soon as soon as you’re able, even before you apply for your program. This process can take several weeks to several months, depending on the time of year when you apply.

If you already have a passport, check the expiration date. Your passport needs to be valid for at least six months after your program ends to travel abroad and return legally.

For more information, visit our Visas page.