GSM Spotlight: Katie Ouimette

(3) Katherine Ouimette

Year Senior

Major Studio Art

Minor Printmaking

EmailĀ katherine.ouimette@uconn.edu

Study Abroad Program University of Melbourne, Australia (Exchange) Spring 2017

What advice would you give your pre-study abroad self?

Save your money!!!! Wings over isn't worth more than a trip to the Great Barrier Reef.

How was the academic system in Australia different from being at UConn?

Assignments are very rare, so keeping up on your studies is all on you. I find it is great for exchange, because you can plan a busy week of activities and balance it with a week of completing your studies.

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most of their study abroad experiences?

Try everything! Try new foods, new sports, new activities, and really get involved with the locals. They want to learn about us as much as we want to learn about them. Also, traveling around is great but get to know your home city! There are many hidden wonders in all of the cities that we're off to!

What concerns/fears did you have about studying abroad, and how did you overcome them?

The only place I've really ever known is Storrs! It made me nervous having to know the ins and outs of a new place, but it really does come quickly to you when you're absolutely immersed. Making friends with locals and asking them questions about everything made this experience so much easier.

What experiences did you have while studying abroad that you feel you could not have had if you had stayed at UConn?

Living and surviving in a city! City living is 100% different, but now I feel more prepared to live on my own in a different place other than my hometown. I also was exposed to so many different types of people.