As a first generation student, just coming to UConn may have seemed out of reach at some point, not to mention the thought of participating in an program in another destination. That said, there are many resources available to assist students interested in this opportunity of a lifetime. Some programs are designed specifically for Student Support Services (SSS) students, but there are many additional program options, and selection can seem overwhelming. Meet with an Experiential Global Learning Advisor to discuss your questions and concerns and to learn more about the benefits of an Experiential Global Learning experience. Experiential Global Learning and SSS are here to help you with every step of this journey!
Questions to Discuss with an EGL Advisor
- If no one in my family has ever gone on a program abroad, who can help me check to see that I am on the right track as I plan?
- Is it okay if I schedule an extra appointment with my Experiential Global Learning advisor if I’m not sure what to do?
- How do I talk to my family and friends about participating in a program?
- What resources are available to me?
- How will I make Experiential Global Learning affordable?
- Are there additional funding sources I can look into to help finance a program?
- How does financial aid work with Experiential Global Learning?
- How do I obtain a passport?
- How do I know if I need a visa?
- What precautions should I be aware of before participating in a program?
- Do I need any vaccinations?
Center for First-Generation Student Success
First Generation Student is a website devoted to helping first generation students.
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
Critical Language Scholarship
Fund for Education Abroad
*Please let your Experiential Global Learning Advisor know if you plan to apply for the Benjamin Gilman, Boren or Critical Language Scholarship prior to submitting the application. You will be referred to a contact in the UConn National Scholarships and Fellowships office for support with the application process and documentation will be provided on your behalf from Experiential Global Learning to complete the requirements.