Questions to Consider and Discuss with an EGL Advisor
- Where do people of my race/ethnicity fit into my host country’s society?
- Am I likely to be a target of racism/classism?
- What are the similarities with how I am treated in the U.S.?
- What are the cultural norms of my host country?
- Are there religious/cultural institutions or rituals adhered to?
- What is the history of ethnic or racial tension in the country? Is the situation currently hostile to members of a minority race, majority race, or particular ethnicity or religion?
- Are issues of racism/ethnic discrimination influenced by immigration in my host country? How do politicized immigration concerns fuel racial tensions? What is the character of immigrant communities?
- Are there laws in the host country governing race relations? Ethnic relations?
- What does participation look like for UConn students currently?
- How can I speak with other UConn students about their experiences as racial/ethnic minorities?
African American Scholarship.com
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
Connecticut Association of Latinos in Higher Education
Fund for Education Abroad
Hispanic Scholarship Fund
IES: David Porter Need-Based Scholarship
Korean American Scholarship Foundation
National Action Council for Minorities in Education